Monday, December 8, 2014

Reflection

            In attacking this assignment, I knew I wanted to write about a topic that had been covered in most, if not all, of the material that was discussed in my English Composition class taken at University of Michigan Dearborn. Once I was able to find a common factor in every major writing assignment, I knew what I needed to discuss in my final paper. I came to realize that each and every person discussed in class was someone who had to fight for what they felt was right and just. Each person we discussed fought for a different cause, but it can be deduced that each one fought for the general greater good of man-kind. Each of the major figures discussed in class did something to benefit others around the globe. For example, Benazir Bhutto fought to have democratic government in Pakistan so that the Pakistani people’s rights could be protected. Another would be Rosa Parks who took actions to stand against racial inequality in the U.S. Though these people may have fought for different reasons, their common goal was to achieve the inalienable right to a just civilization.
            I feel after having learned about these people who have made change throughout society, that my opinions and ideas on how mankind can be changed for the better are valid. The only attribute I don’t have that courses through the veins of these leaders of development in the world is courage. It has to take guts to stand up for what you believe in, because there’s always someone with an opposing opinion. There are always risks in putting your personal opinions into the world for anyone to judge, but that is something you must accept when you dedicate your energy to stand for what you believe is a right and just cause. Writer of “Soul of a Citizen,” Paul Loeb, says in his book, “This process may require acknowledging painful truths, withstanding conflict, and standing on shaky ground.”(27), referring to the rough times one comes by in standing for a cause. This includes accepting many obstacles such as acknowledging that people in the wrong will continue to voice their opinions and avoid accepting new ideas of what is right, understanding some people in the wrong will attack you verbally and possibly physically for standing for change, and holding your ground when others try to shake you down to keep you from advocating your beliefs. I feel if I can muster the courage needed to keep and promote my ideals through the trials Loeb discusses, becoming a figure of change is a possibility for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment